Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Lava My Home.

It took me almost a year to start claiming my home as my own.  

Moving back in meant that I was occupying a space that previously belonged to two people.  I didn't have it in me to decorate. 

Since October I have been working hard to infuse my personality into my living space.  It's not perfect, see I'm broke.  New furniture isn't an option at all.  But I do have spray paint, scissors, hot glue, photoshop, tape, lace and lots of creativity.  Here are a few of the ways I've been decorating my home on the cheap.

I've had this ugly ass mirror forever, but when I painted it blue it turned really cute.


 My dad is one of the coolest people on Earth, and also very charismatic, so him on a hypnotic swirl seemed pretty apropos. I'd love to see this 10 feet tall and on the side of a building Banksy style.

My couch belonged to my grandpa and when he moved I got it.  It was old then, it's older now.  There was this perma-dustline on the back.  Instead of wasting energy scrubbing it off, I painted on a tightrope walker.  I think it's obvious that I watched the Banksy movie.

Something that's really important to me is honoring childrens' artwork, and these old window frames are perfect whale frames.

 A Mandy Moore altar on the little telephone shelf in the hallway is a fun take on my obsession with her career.  Note that Ryan Adams is beneath her, as he should be!

A garland of keys (I used these for my Christmas Tree and loved them too much to put in storage) a framed chalkboard, pics of my besties, a pinup and polka dotted sheets mean that even when no one is in my room there's still magic being made.


I'm a bit of a beet fanatic.  The taste, the color, they're just so great.  So I painted one.  Also, my mom made some BADASS pink burlap curtains that make my living room pink in the morning light.

My ex left this behind.  I've adapted it to my tastes.

Even Justin Bieber loves my decor!

 Juice just tastes better when it's also part of a teenaged fantasy love triangle.

Homes don't have to be boring and I'm pretty sure that mine will only get more colorful.  I may be single forever as a result, but dang, I'm happy.

2 comments:

  1. Love the sofa. I too am a Banksy fan.

    ReplyDelete