Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Lava Skating!

New! New! New!

That has been the theme of 2011 and some of the things have hurt but the growth from those things has been amazing and I feel as though I, while still very raw in some spots, have been coming into my own yet again.  Metamorphosis and all of that mumbo jumbo.

Anyway, I hope you get the feeling that I'm leading up to something big.  Because I kind of am.

I've spent the last 3 months deliberating over a choice to change roller derby teams.  This isn't just like changing underwear or even switching from Pepsi to Coke. Making the choice to join a new team in a different league has the potentially devastating consequences of hurting those closest to you, and of course, there's that nagging fear of failure whenever you jump into any new situation.  I hadn't skated much (okay, just once) in the last 8 months with NOtown Roller Derby because things were just so turbulent everywhere else- remember, 2011 brought divorce, moving out, moving back in, a job switch, going from redhead to blonde (okay, not so monumental...) and all kinds of other mopey bullshitbullshitbullshit.  I couldn't really fit in skating as much as I missed it.

In the meanwhile in my new job I've been working alongside a fabulous lady who (aside from being way tanner and smarter than I am, could be my twinsie) just happens to skate on a different team.  Thus the idea was born and I've been gnawing on the gristle of it ever since.

This morning I tried out for CCAD's Atomic Assault and made the team.  I am so excited to be skating alongside these fabulous women who I am eager to get to know! Change is good, it feels cathartic and more than anything I'm just glad to be 100% excited to skate derby again. 

So to my old NOtown comrades- I have a permanent place in my heart for you.  You're strong and beautiful and I wish you all the most amazing bouts, booty blocks and bruises!

And to my new Atomic Assault teammates and everyone in CCAD- Thank you for giving me this opportunity!  I am going to have so much fun with you, let's kick ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment