Saturday, October 8, 2011

I Lava the Beach Boys

I know that I make it seem like Hanson is my number one favorite band ever.  The tattoo would certainly lead one to that conclusion, but like everyone else on Earth I spent my childhood listening to the music my parents liked.  That music happened to be The Beach Boys.

I didn't actually know there was any other music out there until I was in 7th grade or so.  Hear me out o this.  Certainly I'd heard of NKOTB and all of that good stuff, but I just assumed anything that wasn't on the records my dad had was just a Beach Boys side project spin off that was a miserable departure from their usual sound.  Rap?  Must be some wacky Brian Wilson experiement.  Opera?  Heck, Carl can get his voice kinda high. 

The Beach Boys were my kings.

I also thought Mike Love was a Care Bear, but that's a whole other path of neurotic thinking that we probably don't need to go down.

I had dance routines worked out to Shut Down and Be True to Your School.  In college I wore a button with Brian Wilson's face on it everywhere I went.  I've slugged through disappointing fair performances by the different warring factions of the Beach Boys as they toured around with whatever dregs of spirit they've had left.  (Mike Love gasped mid-set at the Pomona fair concert I went to that if he'd known in the sixties they'd still be touring in 2002 they would have written a lot fewer fast sings.) The love still remains.

Some times all I need to get my head on straight is to pull out my favorite songs and sing them loudly.  I've already blogged about this with the Beach Boys and how they're kind of my glue. 

So I leave you all with these songs, a few of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment