Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Hate to Admit That I Lava TV.

I have spent my whole life actively avoiding television.  In college I got a TV only to drown out my roomate's TV... and all I ever watched were a handful of DVD's (The Jerk, The Producers, Bill and Ted's, Jesus Christ Superstar, Pee Wee's Big Adventure) and that Talk Sex with Sue Johanson show.

Post college I've made a point of never getting attached to shows.  And even when I liked something I'd never remember when it was on.  Really, until I found Baseball (read with the same weight as "found religion") I had very little use for the TV other than a distraction for my kids when they're completely destructive.

But now I live with a major TV lover.  Like, a 24 hours a day TV is on kind of person.  He has opinions on shows most people have never even heard of. 

I've been really resistive.  I can't deal with TV noise, commercials or really, really dumb reality shows.

But... after a while...

Well, lets just say I've gotten really sucked in.

First came Shameless.  What can I say?  It's cleverly written, funny, surprising, and heartbreaking.  William H. Macy is just great as Frank, the alcoholic dad who everyone just learns to live around, no matter what trouble he manages to get into.  (Waking up in Canada, faking his own death...)  You learn to appreciate the dysfunction of the Gallagher family.



Then I warmed up to Top Gear.   I know nothing about cars and have very little interest in them.  I do like watching a bunch of guys be guys and push cars to the limit- often the cars aren't just the fancy kinds that just look ridiculous to me, but they're pieces of shit.  I never get bored with this show.


I watched Episodes before Shameless, but didn't get really excited about it right away, so it comes after Top Gear.  It's predictable, but funny.  Just not quite as clever.  But it does have Matt LeBlanc as himself, which is pretty great- the huge dick jokes never get old. 


And finally, this one takes a lot for me to admit but I've become not just merely interested in, but actively involved with a SciFi show.  And its totally embarrassing, I don't do SciFi.

Torchwood.

There, I said it.  I went from making fun of my roommate for watching it to thinking he's a god among men for DVRing it for me.  I did a "Which Torchwood Character are You?" test.  (Gwen, thankyouverymuch)

It's just fucking great okay.  Plus boy on boy kisses.  Yeah, you'll never question me again.


So there you have it.  I now have shows.  Thanks a shit ton, Hashley.  Another piece of my identity has disintegrated and I lava every  mindless fucking moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment