Friday, December 31, 2010

10 things I Lavaed about 2010


Fresno.  The year started out in a major way for me when my little blog 31 Days of Fresno took off.  I've met a bazillion cool folks through it, got some awesome TV, Newspaper, Radio and Blog time from it and more than anything really embraced my hometown even more than ever.  This freakin' city rules.  We may not be San Francisco or LA but we're Fresno, and we have our own flavor of awesome.

Lime Crime.  New cosmetics obsession for a new year.  I bought my first Lime Crime in March and I'm addicted.  Bright colors, dreamy fun.  Plus Doe Deere is a DOLL. 


Foreign Exchange.  Started working with World Heritage Student Exchange Programs in February and I've met some absolutely amazing people through the experience.  All of my host families are wonderful and welcoming and my students are so much fun.  I'm learning a ton (Like they don't have peanut butter in Russia!  What?!) and realizing that no matter where they're from the teenage experience is pretty universal.  That comforts me- we all have to go through it!  I am so lucky this fell into place for me and I look forward to meeting many, many more students and host families as the years go by. (and if you're interested in hosting hit me up!)


Forts. This has been the year of the fort in my house.  What started out as a few chairs with a blanket draped over it has become this massive feat of architecture where the sofa, recliners and blankets all come together to build a "Cary's House".  My kids are hilarious and even though they've completely wrecked one of the chairs irreparably it's been so fun that I almost don't die a little each time I notice the sagging arm rest.  Closely related- Newspaper Hats made a big splash with the terrible two this year.


Karaoke. What started as a girls night out on a whim has become the beacon of my week- if I can just make it through work I can have karaoke on Saturday nights.  More important than the song choice and the length of the rotation, though, are the friends I've made.  I'd be sunk without them, and I'd definitely not have any fun facebook profile pics.  In November I even took the show on the road and rocked the mic at Aurora and Chuck's Scorpio Birthday Blowout.  This was the first time I attempted costume changes and it was a great success.

Photo by Jennifer Emerling
Burlycise.  This year I really reformed my eating and fitness habits and have pressured the people I love (ie my derby team) to do the same.  I was even holding "Burlycise" workouts at my house for my teammates who needed some extra cardio.  Burlycise even took me to motel drive where I posed in a thong leotard and got oggled by drunk old men and hookers.  Awesome, definitely a highlight.


The Giants.  Taking up much of my year and giving me a new reason for living I finally have found a major sport that I don't just passively follow but aggressively and desperately obsess over.  It started when I noticed how cute the pitching staff was for the Giants and from there things got real silly.  I'd like to think it was my presence that helped them with their World Series win. 


Hanson.  New album, new video, amazing tour.  They're on my list every year but THIS YEAR THERE WERE FLASH MOBS.  That made all the difference.  And I didn't even get to meet them like I have in the past.  Powerful stuff, man.


Vanna's Choice.  My favorite of the main-stream yarn, I work almost exclusively with it for most of my projects, buying fancy high-class stuff for special touches.  Good feel, soft and it just works up so beautifully. 


Russia.  I finished War and Peace.  I have 2 Russian exchange students and one Ukranian who speak in Russian together and make me giddy with delight.  I even bought a "Teach Yourself Russian" set, but I am a big fat language failure.  Doe Deere is Russian and I wanna be her.  Basically I can't get away from Russian influence and I absolutely love it.  Bring it ON.

There were many other things I LAVAed, but these stick out.  I'll lava more later.

Lava out.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. You just ended my year with a good laugh. You are so hilarious Kim and have been since we were young. You have totally inspired me too loose weight again. I start next week. Fingers crossed!!
    Also the pic of you in the thong leotard... Classic!
    Keep up the blogs I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete