Sunday, December 26, 2010

I Lava Guest Bloggers: Aurora Pringle

I'll be honest, 2010 was sorta crazy for me--I moved back to Los Angeles from Visalia, got married, found a "grown up" job and then was let go of. I've loved it. These were my favorite of all those glorious moments.

Being commissioned for the film, "Boys Don't Date Girls with Dead Mothers".



This is a project close to my heart, and when I was asked to put together artwork for it, I knew that this was going to be special. My friend lost her mother to cancer when she was a teenager, and this is her story. Beth is an amazing film maker and is putting this project together on her own. You can help. She's put together a Kickstarter project, where you can view her trailer and film distribution plans. It's important, and I think you'll see why.


Ms. International Playgirl, Gala Darling.



My favorite version of Gala has to be single, new-in-New-York, pink haired cutie. She's now with a boyfriend, comfortable-in-New-York, and a white haired pixie, which is fine. This year her blog has grown by leaps and bounds, and it's exciting to see her projects as they unfold, particularly her book, "Love and Sequins". I love a lady with substance and a mind for business. You're killer, Gala!



Eating Potstickers!

I was doubly blessed in the food department this year. Ben started making potstickers, and his version is so tangy and peppery that it's always a treat when he serves them for dinner. I also managed to get some of Cho's legendary potstickers when I visited Fresno over the summer. So delish!


Getting my pink on.






When my job ended, I needed to do something to kick start a feeling of empowerment. Since I am no longer working a corporate 9-to-5, I embraced the chance to dye my hair pink. I've had it turquoise and blue in the past, but that was a long, long time ago, before I felt like I had to get a job with insurance. It might sound silly, but dying my hair pink was a way to give myself permission to believe that I can make a living off from my art. Nobody from the corporate world is really going to take an interest in a pink haired lady. Seriously.


Art is work, and work is art.



This leads me to...really getting down and dirty with the hows and whats of starting my own business! I get excited every day about the future. It's not hard to get out of bed. I work like a bat out of hell and I am loving what I do.

Getting married to Ben.


I'm always tempted to can the mush, but I'll also be the first to admit that I never really thought I would get married. This is what you get when you meet a dude while he's on tour. Three years later, he's part of the family and you are part of his. One of the best decisions I ever made was getting hitched to my best friend.


Karaoke Action.

Harnessing my inner diva and letting her out for karaoke! It's true-- a few years ago I was one of those people who wouldn't karaoke unless I was accompanied by someone else. Now I love it. The key was finding a trademark song, and you can't go wrong with a '90's classic. I learned to love karaoke so much that my friend Chuck and I had a joint karaoke birthday party. Jenn and Kim came down from Fresno and we partied at a family restaurant, belting our hearts out and doing costume changes. Act silly and be ok with it. Go home happy.



Moving from Visalia to Los Angeles.

I was happy to be in Visalia because I wanted to be near my family during a difficult time. I was also happy to be around my friends again. However, the job situation was a beast for both Ben and I to contend with, and when life presented an opportunity to move back to Los Angeles, we went for it. I still feel the magic here-- I can do anything I want with my life, and be happy. Now if it would just stop raining! Which it will, because it's a beautiful paradise here.


Making New Friends.



Namely, my homies Michelle and Jamie. When I had the full time job, I didn't have time to spend connecting with people. Now, it's part of what I do! Michelle and Jamie have both provided me with moments of both generosity and inspiration. I don't think they've even met each other yet, but someday I hope they do. Perhaps in 2011? Get ready for the world to explode with awesome!



Bethany Cosentino and Best Coast.


I'll admit that I don't have much of an interest in new music anymore--and, in fact, much of it is limited to new releases by bands that I already have an established relationship with. Best Coast is different. I started listening to them because they went on tour with Weezer, and some part of me is still a little in love with that band. Their album "Crazy for You" is perfect California girl pop, just what I need to break it down and know that Bethany did it, and so can I. Bethany, I know you are from L.A.--let's be best friends, have sleepovers, and cry together, my darling.

Aurora Pringle is the author of the blog Les Trois Mois, an artist living in LA and one of the truest friends a girl could ask for.  She's the ultimate schmate, I smolder for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment