Monday, December 27, 2010

I Lava Guest Bloggers: Guinness Wrecker

I've had several false starts on this blog. When I think back on 2010, I come up with a list of all of the things that happened that defined me: Got started in a new career, made some amazing new friends that I have a standing Saturday karaoke date with, something about a marriage, did some awesome stuff with my hair, etc. But Aurora wrote that blog yesterday, so I'm screwed. Then I thought to myself, "Self, what did you really love about all of these things?". And I answered myself, "Well self, I really loved you. You made my 2010 uh-may-zing." So, what's so great about me? BEHOLD, BITCHES!

1.) I am a genius. Irish. Ninja. It's true. Just wanted to get that one out of the way. I can drink you under the table, then kick your ass and still write a thesis on the elements of man displayed in "The Brother's Karamazov". 2010 was the year I stopped feeling guilty for realizing how awesome that is. I now allow myself to own what's positive that sets me apart from the crowd, rather than dwelling on all the ways I just don't measure up.

2.) I fall in love-a LOT, and for not very long. But I'm single now. And it's fun. I've spent most of my life trying to be respectful and respectable, but you know what? I spent a good portion of the last year living like I was in a Guns 'N Roses video for 5 minutes at a time, and I don't regret any of it. So mothers, lock up your sons in 2011, because I'm not changing.

3.) I could spend all day sewing human flesh. Or taking blood out of it. I finally found a career that pays me for doing that. I am, and always have been, a lot of things: artist, writer, photographer, activist, humanist, amateur anthropologist, student, teacher, mother, lover, fighter. They all spawned from my basic love of humanity and human beings. People fascinate me on so many levels: psychological, spiritual, cultural...anatomical...cellular. The workings of the insides and out of a person are just so amazing. And like all amazing things, I like to poke it with a stick. A sharp, hypodermic stick. I can now do that in a way that helps other people, AND nets me a paycheck. Ballerado.

4.) I have the greatest group of friends I've ever had. 2010 was the year I found people who give as much as I do. Even more, usually. They've supported me, bought me food and drink, driven me to wherever the good times were, brought me eggrolls when I had pneumonia (pneumonia-there's something I did NOT lava in 2010), rubbed their awkward boners on my thighs (you had to be there), listened to all of my whining and bitching AND brought tater tots and bacon salt to watch "The Expendables" with me. How did I get so lucky? These ladies are the greatest. I lava you Cho, Nicole and JLam.

5.) KimBurly. Ugh, what can I say? The bitch is my soulmate. She's the Wilson to my Zito. Which means I fell in love with her and gave her syphilis. It can't be helped. The universe has to follow some sort of order. I lava her so hard it makes my ovaries blue. The first time I remember seeing her, I knew we belonged together. It was actually in 2009, but we really came together in 2010, so it's applicable. Deal with it. Anyway, I was skipping derby practice to attend a gay rights rally. It was the one downtown right before Meet in the Middle. As I was walking up, I saw her. She was holding a toddler, wearing nearly 4 inch heels and a minidress. And bright red lipstick. She was a goddess. I knew that day that we would grow old together. And we will. Probably in an old folks home throwing tapioca on each other and calling it "lincecum" and getting spongebathed by a 23 year old male nurse, then telling him, "You know, we don't have ANY teeth" and winking. Like I said, soulmate.

These 5 things all became mine in 2010 and sealed my hope for a glorious 2011. I came to terms with a lot of things that have caused me heartache in the past, and I was rewarded by being surrounded by love and support more than I have ever been. This past year has made me realize that I am happy with my life while also having the courage to strive for even more. I can now claim, for the first time in my life, "I lava me". Thank you 2010.


Photo by Into The Void Photography.
G. Wrex is the author of the FABULOUS blog Taking Down Chuck.  I lava her hard, this woman has changed my life!  She is my world's 2nd most powerful juggalette.

No comments:

Post a Comment